We at the Harlingen Public Library want you to know that we are here for you. We are taking precautions to protect the community’s health, while also staying true to our mission to create ways for people to connect with information and each other. From Curbside Pickup to a calendar full of virtual programs, the library is committed to continuing to serve as your source for entertainment, personal growth, and inspiration, especially during these challenging times.
VISITING THE LIBRARY
- You must maintain at least 6 feet of separation between yourself and people outside of your household.
- Study rooms are closed.
- You may use the computer for one 45-minute session per day. Disinfecting wipes will be available at the service desks.
- Hand sanitation stations will be available as soon as you enter and throughout the library.
Patrons may request items for Curbside Pickup Monday-Thursday, 10am-6pm, and Friday, 10am-5pm. To request materials for Curbside Pickup:
- Request the materials through your library account or by calling (956) 216 – 5821.
- Wait for a phone call from the library notifying you that your materials are ready for pickup.
- Drive to the library and park in the circle drive. Call the library when you arrive (the number will be posted in the circle drive).
- Pop the trunk, and we will place the materials in the back for you.
Materials may be returned in the Book Drop in the back of the library, not during Curbside Pickup.
The library will continue to issue E-Cards that give full access to the library’s digital resources, including eBooks, audio books, digital comics, digital magazines, and more. To begin the process, email the library at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Most library programs remain virtual, but some are in-person, hybrid, or drop-in. For the most up-to-date list of our virtual programs and information on how to participate, please check our website (https://harlingenlibrary.org/) or Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/harlingenlibrary/). Adults can enjoy book clubs, a poetry group, DIY craft videos, library resource tutorials, and more. Kids, teens, and families can enjoy story time, art and craft videos, literacy activities, and more.
Virtual Reading Challenges are great opportunities to promote reading at home. Parents can make an account for the whole family on our Beanstack site, and each participant can digitally track their reading. We have 1000 Books Before Kindergarten and the Summer Reading Challenge for children that offer a chance to win prizes while you log your reading. To get started, go to harlingenlibrary.beanstack.org or download the Beanstack app.
From the safety of your home, you can also access a wide variety of digital resources on our website (https://harlingenlibrary.org/). We have thousands of eBooks, audiobooks, comics, magazines, and the Valley Morning Star Digital Archives. You can also use our databases to find up-to-date information from highly regarded professional journals, test prep materials, genealogy resources, and more. One of our databases, Reference Solutions, a resource for market research, small businesses, and job hunting, might be especially useful to our community at this time.
Our number one priority is the health and safety of the community, and we are also committed to providing you with the resources you need to weather these challenging times. Please stay safe, take care of one another, and reach out to us – we are still here for you.