On Friday, May 1, the Harlingen Public Library will reopen with limited services.
We have implemented the following practices to protect everyone’s health:
- Enhanced cleaning and disinfecting of the library
- Strict physical distancing
- Closed interactive areas
- Daily employee health screenings
- CDC hygiene recommendations, including hand washing and face covering
Visiting the Library
- The library is available for material checkout and limited computer use only.
- The number of patrons in the library is limited to under 25% capacity.
- Everyone must wear a face mask in the library.
- You must maintain at least 6 feet of separation between yourself and people outside of your household.
- Large backpacks, large bags, or luggage are not permitted. Clear and mesh backpacks are permitted.
- Public seating areas have been removed or blocked. Study rooms are closed. Loitering is not permitted.
- Some library computer stations have been closed to allow 6 feet of separation between stations. You may use the computer for one 45-minute session per day. Disinfecting wipes are available at the service desks.
- Hand sanitation stations are available as soon as you enter and throughout the library.
Patrons may request items for Curbside Pickup Monday-Thursday, 10am-6pm, and Friday, 10am-5pm. To request materials for Curbside Pickup:
- Request the materials through your library account or by calling (956) 216 – 5821.
- Wait for a phone call from the library notifying you that your materials are ready for pickup.
- Drive to the library and park in the circle drive. Call the library when you arrive (the number will be posted in the circle drive).
- Pop the trunk, and we will place the materials in the back for you.
Materials may be returned in the Book Drop in the back of the library, not during Curbside Pickup. Please respect physical distancing during Curbside Pickup by staying in your vehicle as we drop your materials off.
The library continues to issue E-Cards that give full access to the library’s digital resources, including eBooks, audio books, digital comics, digital magazines, and more. To begin the process, email the library at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We continue to offer a wide range of virtual programs for all community members. Check our website and Facebook Events for more information. No in-person programs are currently being offered.
Suspended Services include meeting room reservations, Inter-Library Loans, study room reservations, in-person programs, library tours and outreach, Friends Bookstore, material donations, access to magazines and newspapers, the Children’s Department Family Place play area, and test proctoring.
We are committed to keeping our community safe and connected with information, literacy, and each other.