Friends of the Library Mission: To supplement the library’s annual budget by providing additional financial support for a wide variety of requests.
Our Goal: To enhance the library experience for all of its patrons.
How do we support the library? In an average year, Friends donates around $10,000 to the library.
Some examples of where the money goes:
- Teen Programs
- Children’s Programs
- Library Events
- Book Leases
- Adult Programming Classes
- Summer Reading Books
- Library Website
- Book Page (free monthly book review)
In addition, Friends donates books to other organizations such as Boys & Girls Club, Detention Centers, and Little Free Libraries for the Harlingen Housing Authority and the Harlingen Police Department, as well as providing free reading materials to the library patrons.
How do we raise funds for the library?
- Our primary source of income is the used bookstore, located inside the library and run by our Board members. Our inventory comes from patron donations as well as books taken out of circulation by the library.
- We work with a book dealer who sells valuable books for us online.
- We are registered with Amazon Smile. Amazon donates 0.05% of all purchases made by anyone who signs up and designates Friends as the recipient.
- Purchasing items for resale to patrons (book bags, ear buds, pencils).
- Monetary donations from the public.
How can you help?
- Shop in our bookstore!
- Donate gently-used books for the bookstore.
- Sign up for Amazon Smile!
- Buy a book bag!
- Support our fundraisers
- Make a monetary donation!
There is a donation box by the Circulation counter for cash donations. Checks should be made out to Friends of the Harlingen Public Library and mailed to the library at 410 ‘76 Drive, Harlingen 78550.
The Friends of the Harlingen Public Library is a 501(c)(3) organization, so all donations are tax-deductible.
We appreciate your support!