Friends of the Library Mission: To supplement the library’s annual budget by providing additional financial support for a wide variety of requests.
Our Goal: To enhance the library experience for all of its patrons.
How do we support the library? In an average year, Friends donates around $10,000 to the library.
Some examples of where the money goes:
- Teen Programs
- Children’s Programs
- Library Events
- Book Leases
- Adult Programming Classes
- Summer Reading Books
- Library Website
- Book Page (free monthly book review)
In addition, Friends donates books to other organizations such as Boys & Girls Club, Detention Centers, and Little Free Libraries for the Harlingen Housing Authority and the Harlingen Police Department, as well as providing free reading materials to the library patrons.
How do we raise funds for the library?
- Our primary source of income is the used bookstore, located inside the library and run by our Board members. Our inventory comes from patron donations as well as books taken out of circulation by the library.
- We work with a book dealer who sells valuable books for us online.
- Purchasing items for resale to patrons (book bags, ear buds, pencils).
- Monetary donations from the public.
How can you help?
- Shop in our bookstore!
- Donate gently-used books for the bookstore.
- Buy a book bag!
- Support our fundraisers
- Make a monetary donation!
There is a donation box by the Circulation counter for cash donations. Checks should be made out to Friends of the Harlingen Public Library and mailed to the library at 410 ‘76 Drive, Harlingen 78550.
The Friends of the Harlingen Public Library is a 501(c)(3) organization, so all donations are tax-deductible.
We appreciate your support!
- Hard Covers: $1.00
- Hard Cover with Green Dot: 25¢
- Paperbacks: 25¢
- Romance Books: 10¢ Each or 15 books for $1
- Magazines: 10¢
It’s a bargain!
The Friends of the Library Bookstore is possible with generous donations of used books from library visitors.
Profits from books sold are used to fund new programs, buy library materials, and do so much more for the library and its visitors.
Normally materials will be added to the collection, sold in the Friends of the Library Bookstore, or donated to a local nonprofit, such as the Harlingen Housing Authority’s Little Libraries or a detention center. Please make sure materials you wish added to the collection do not have mold/mildew, are clean, and are not torn.
Acceptable donations include:
Books – Items may be added to the collection if needed. Older titles or extra copies will be given to the Friends Bookstore.
DVDs, CDs & Audiobooks – Playable titles. No copies or titles that are missing a disc.
Magazines – Titles that are in good condition may be accepted for the Bookstore.
For archival donations please contact Michael Jones, at (956) 216-5825.